Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 3 of 10 Days Of Proverbs 31

Photobucket

...She provides food for her family...

Proverbs 31:15


Now most all of you know we are a large family.

A very large family.

Seventeen of us in all.

Since my topic for the next 8 days is creativity I thought I would share some large family logistics and how needing to be creative in almost every area over here is a necessity!


When we were first praying about adopting we already had seven children.

Seven children seems large to most but we were comfortable financially maybe even had a little splurging wiggle room.

Jeff had a good stable job.

The economy seemed stable to us.

We knew adopting would cost money up front and we knew living expenses like groceries, etc...would go up. We knew we would need to tighten our belts some. God had called us to step forward in faith. We stepped. We knew God would provide. Yet, it was scary. We had no idea at the time just how much and fast our family would grow. We did not realise just how much belt tightening we would need to do. Now we know. It is a very tight belt!!

There has not been very many things we directly asked others for if we were in need. We have usually trusted God and he would provide it for us.

I have clung to this verse over the years. Some months I clung tighter than others.

I was once young and now I am old,
yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken
or their children begging for bread.

Psalm 37:25


I could wow you with the cost of utilities, groceries, how much toilet paper we use,but for today I will just wow you with my creative Proverbs 31 woman breakfast!

One way that God provides for us is gifts of food from others.

I LOVE that!!

We are so thankful!

We use EVERYTHING!

We sometimes end up with a can of this and a can of that.

Sometimes we get very special cans of things that usually we can not afford.

It might be silly to most but I spend a lot of time thinking and asking God exactly what is the best use of our food. I really do.

For a week I have been pondering how to use these five cans of fruit pie filling we were given. They are almost like gold to me. Of course, one of my teens could just open up a can and down it in a few minutes but I wanted to make something very special. Something that honored the gift we were given. I wanted it to be something the kids would step back and notice how kind God was to give us these five pie fillings.

No laughing!

Ok, so they are just a few cans of pie filling.

You see pie filling.

I see God's faithfulness.

I decided on a warm breakfast cobbler.





Ugh...Nicki you are distracting me from my cobbler making! Is there a reason you are pathetically clinging to the door like that?



Ah...this looks very tasty.



See, isn't this a nice special breakfast.



God's faithfulness demonstrated.

Practical creativity at it's finest.

Warmly,A Patchwork Mommy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the other twelve blogs joining in on this 10 Days of Proverbs 31 adventure.

Enjoy!!

Contributing to family income/
2 better than 1

The Fear of the Lord/
Satisfied by Love

Using time wisely/
BlessedBeyondMeasure

Taking care of needy/
Shadow Wonder

Using money wisely/
Jennifer Sikora

Keeping an eye on home/
Just a Glimpse

She can laugh at the days ahead/
faith filled food for moms

Clothed in strength and dignity/
One thing I’ve Learned

Taking care of others/
2 savvy gals

Bringing Variety to Family/
Karen Dawkins

Extending your Hand to the Poor/
Women’s Fellowship House

Organization/
Teaching what is Good

4 comments:

  1. Well done!! That cobbler looks delicious and an excellent way to make the best use of the food. I have absolutely no idea how you manage with 17 in the family. It would be like running a hotel 24/7, wouldn't it? Like ... how much clothes-washing do you do each day? And ... when do you get some time to be on your own, to pray, meditate, read or simply to think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! (literally :) ) Those gifts are real treasures, aren't they? We got 2 boxes of food gifts from someone at Christmas and it allowed us to eat while only dipping into our food budget a teeny bit. This really helped as we had some serious dental bills!

    I'm loving your blog posts, but because they reveal your love and your heart! THAT'S what's blessing me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful example of following God's heart even in what we often think of as the "little" decisions. I love that you have given Him the honor for your yummy breakfast!! What a great example for us . . . . and for me!!

    Blessings,
    Anne (shadowwonder)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina,
    I love this post!! I love that you pray over what to make with your food. I'm going to start doing that, too! Our grocery bill just keeps getting bigger, so I really need to seek the Lord on how to cut back on it! Thank you for the inspiration :-)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete