Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sometimes I Wonder...

There are so many days I stand back and wonder how in the world will my children ever grow up even half way normal.

I goof up way more than I get things right as a mother.

This set of verses is such an encouragement to me.

He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.

Tomorrow march down against them. They will be climbing up by the Pass of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the gorge in the Desert of Jeruel.

You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.’”

2 Chronicles 20:15-17



Of course, my children are not the enemy (ha ha maybe they might seem that way at times...I didn't just write that did I? It must have been someone else) but parenting can seem like a huge bloody battle at times.

You know like those medieval battles with flaming arrows and tar balls flying and blood everywhere like in the movies.

It can seem like that, but the parenting battles I most seem to fight are:

Against my own selfish will.

Against my fears.

To stay put and not run when things get difficult.

To stay loyal.

To be willing to be the 'bad guy' at times because I know in the end what I'm asking of my children is right.

To be humble.

To forgive.

To accept forgiveness.

The list goes on and on...

I feel like I wave the white flag of surrender all the time and run away in retreat.

BUT

Then there are those moments that I get a glimpse of God working beyond my feeble parenting attempts.

For instance:

My husband pointed out the other day that last week six of our children had served in various capacities reaching other children for Christ.

Elena is off on her mission trip to New Orleans. This had been a hearts desire for her for quite some time.

I also overheard my 6 year old son explain the gospel of Christ to my three year old and ask her if she wanted to ask Jesus into her heart.

Those are things Jeff and I can not take credit for.

I then realize I have the privilege of having a front row seat in seeing God working in my children's lives despite all the things I mess up at or all the battles I retreat from.

I am a very weak person but God is a very strong God.

He has a plan for each of my children a plan greater that any plan I could ever dream for them.

It's ok for me to retreat at times and watch God fight the battle.

He is a warrior and will fight fervently for my children.

He is faithful.


Warmly,A Patchwork Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment