Thursday, August 1, 2013

Chitter Chatter

I was reading a Facebook feed from Reece's Rainbow Adoption Ministry this afternoon. Reece's Rainbow focuses on children from around the world with down syndrome who are adoptable.
There was a woman who is in China right now picking up her two down syndrome children from China. She mentioned that one of the children does not look like he has Downs at all. She was kind of shocked that he looks "normal". He is diagnosed with what is called Mosaic Down Syndrome. I did not know what that was so I did an Internet search on it. I found that in people with Mosaic Down Syndrome some cell groups have the normal 46 chromosomes and others have an extra copy of the 21st chromosome to make 47 cells in a group. (I think I explained it correctly?). In regular Down Syndrome people there is an extra chromosome in all the cell groups not just some cell groups. This search lead me to lists of the different common traits of people with Down Syndrome. I was looking at some images of Downs babies with sandal foot and thought "gee,these little feet look SO familiar!" Anya has feet that look just like these babies. I read up a little more and sure enough Anya has what is called a singular palmer crease on both of her palms. She has always had her cute flat nose that we could not figure out who she inherited it from. Having eight bio children she is the only one to have these unique features. There are other Down Syndrome features she does not have but I thought it was interesting. I wonder if this is information worth investigating farther?

Enough of that ramble.

Here is a little peek at what I have been working on the last few days.

Little girl skirts (just in case you were wondering...)




The next two skirts are not finished yet.



Here are two skirt fabric combos waiting to be made.



Off to sleep.

Warmly, A Dragonfrye Mommy

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful skirts! Interesting thoughts about Anya. Isn't it interesting that our kids are just our kids - I find it interesting the things we notice and don't notice in them until it's brought to my attention :-)

    Love you!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb. The skirts are super easy. I bet they only take 45 minutes each to make. It is interesting about the Anya observation. It could answer a few concerns I have had about her. But then again, I have another bio child who I believe is somewhere on the Aspergers(?)spectrum as well as a couple others with learning disabilities. Sometimes, I think I could be diagnosed with some personality disorder of some sort. The kids might lable it as severely overly-dramatic-hyper mom syndrome or something like that. We are an unique bunch us Fryes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those skirts are gorgeous!! :) God has good plans for each child. Once we know about something, we see it everywhere! It makes me wonder what I don't know about in our family that God does. Maybe I'm not supposed to know, though! :) You're great, and so is your lovely, God-given family! Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your skirts are adorable! Love, love, love! Your family is great, too. God has creativeness built into each person. And once there are many in our houses...well...we observe a lot! :) Much love to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete