Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Time?

When and how do I ever find the time to sew? Well, in truth, it is pretty hard. I do most sewing at night if I can.

I love to sew in quiet, with no distractions.

I think best when I am sewing.

It clears my mind.

I feel like life makes sense and I can see life clearly when I am at my sewing machine. I have a notebook and pen close by so I can jot down thoughts, to do lists, prayers, goals, concerns, dreams, or whatever comes to my mind that I want to remember. Sounds very odd,doesn't it!?

When there are toddlers running around, teens wrestling right next to my sewing space, or our 'middles' running in and out with seemingly endless questions and bathroom visits, I get a little (ok very) stressed. It is hard to find those peaceful type of moments around here. I am not ashamed to say (but maybe a little humbled) that I sometimes beg, bribe, fuss, and even pop in a dvd if I am very desperate to get a bit of sewing done.

Well, this evening,( Monday evening actually, my blog lags behind a few days most of the time.) I was wanting to finish up with Odell's dress. Most of the kids were in bed but since my two youngest took a late nap they were still up. Daddy was at the store and I was getting a little stressed.

SO while I was adding the ruffle to the bottom of Odell's dress



I had Joel and Lily playing 'laundry' with fabric scraps.



I made it up on the fly but it entertained them for at least an hour.




Thanks to the laundry game I was able to finish Odell's dress.

Here it was before I finished it. I had her try it on in it's not quite finished state and it looked great!



Odell thought it should have a tie in the back so I added one for her.



and added the ruffle.



Here is just a close up of the ribbon I chose for the front to break up the main fabric a little.I thought the dress needed a place to rest the eyes because the floral pattern is pretty bold.



I can not wait until she tries it on all finished. I think she will look very pretty.

Ekie's is next!

Warmly,A Patchwork Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Such lovely clothes you make! Thanks for answering my question by the way:)

    ReplyDelete