Wednesday, May 25, 2011

We Have Now Entered The....

rice cooker zone...

After years of burning my rice but insisting I would NOT burn it the next time, I caved. Now we are officially rice cooker owners! It seemed like such a frivolous thing to own but now that we have rice cookers, I think why did I not buy these sooner! They are like a dream. Rice is a staple in our house. The only problem I am having is figuring out if we need a third or fourth rice cooker.



Ok, let me hash this out loud...

For a meal with rice I would cook on the stove seven cups of dry rice and 14 cups of water. That is what feeds our family. I have no idea how many cups of cooked rice that makes. Keep in mind though that my stove rice is usually burned and/or a big starch mush.

Now, each rice cooker makes 6 cups of cooked rice. To get that the cooker uses 2 1/4 cups dry rice and water to the correct fill line (whatever that amounts to I do not know). Now this rice is not burned or a big lump of startch mush.

Ok, so my little Pooh brain thinks I would need a third rice cooker. Maybe I should have researched different size rice cookers so I would have only needed to purchase one? Although it seems like it to me, the small appliance world does not start and stop at Wallmart.

Another thought is will my kids want to eat more rice since it actually tastes good? Which leads me to wonder about a fourth rice cooker....

Help! Get me out of the Rice cooker zone fast!!

Warmly,A Patchwork Mommy

3 comments:

  1. I had to give up and start cooking rice like spaghetti (with lots of extra water, then drain it off) because I always burned it. Got a rice steamer, too - takes forever, but works, so long as you remember to put the water in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now thats not a bad idea adding extra water and then drain it off.

    I do burn elbow noodles often as well.

    I think I just get distracted and wander off to do something else and do not notice again until I smell the food burning!

    Good blog by the way! The pink does not seem too intense to me.

    And I love LOVE your spinning wheel!!! Someday I will get one. That would be very fun.

    Thanks for stoping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pink was actually a very bright hot pink. It's way toned down now.

    I'm in awe of you - my husband wants to adopt after we've had the one on the way :) , but the thought of even one scares me (I don't know how do parent!), so I love watching the way you do things. (Been following for a long time... perhaps you were in the SMS giveaway a year ago?)

    ReplyDelete