Thursday, February 28, 2013

Only Dorks Allowed

My name is Tina and I am a dork.

Not just a little dorkiness mixed in with normalness.

No.

I am 100% dork.

Don't believe me?

Here is proof.

Today, I had packages to drop off at the post office for customers who bought stuff from my Etsy shops. I usually have my eldest son Grant mail my packages at HyVee on his way to whatever he is on his way to do. This time though I had a few packages going to various US destinations as well as a package going to New Zealand (cool). The international package needs a customs slip etc... so that requires a trip to the actual post office so I needed to do that one myself. No problem. I hurried the eight younger kids through their school and we all bundled up for our walk to the post office. I do not know how to drive.

No dorkiness yet...

Ok, maybe the no driving thing is a little dorky.

But just wait.

We are in front of the post office ready to go in when Grant, who was driving around town with his friend Eddie, saw us. Smaller towns are pretty neat. Grant and I chat for a bit. They leave and the other kids and I go into the post office to mail my packages.

~Dork warning~

As the post office guy was taking care of my stuff I was still thinking of my conversation with Grant. I always enjoy talking with Grant. Another say 35ish male postal worker stepped to the counter to help the customer in back of me.

Guess what I did as the postal worker stepped up to the counter as I was looking directly into his eyes and smiling?

I winked at him!!

DORK!!!!

Yes, this 40+ year old mom of 15 creepily winked at a younger man.

Now to my defense, as I was winking at this guy I was still very much thinking about my conversation with Grant. Yes, I wink at my kids. That is not creepy. It is like a thumbs up...like an 'I am proud of you' wink. 'I am glad I am your mom' wink.

Winking at the male postal worker. That is not cool. That is creepy.

 My son Josh, who witnessed the whole thing, said that the postal worker was just staring at me. Josh said that at the time he was wondering if the man liked me or something because he had this odd half smile look on his face as he stared at me.

No Josh, he did not like me. It was a 'did that old creepy woman REALLY just wink at me' stare.

Double DORK!!!

I am SO embarrassed!

Ok, that is not the end of my dorkiness.

As long as we are out and about the nine of us walk to the Daily Grind coffee shop for a drink to warm us up.

Here we are enjoying our drinks.





I appropriately got the old dorky lady cup.



Anyway, we unintentionally invaded the space of another patron who was working on her laptop at the next table.

How can she not hear our conversations?

I would totally listen in on another table's conversation.

Be warned.

I will listen.

I am nosey.

Sit by me at your own risk.

Anyway, Grant and Eddie find us at the coffee shop to chat. Grant was telling me about these cool medieval swords he and Eddie saw at the Mall of America when they were there this morning. Grant was wanting to save up for one to hang on his wall. Although he was serious about that, Grant and Eddie were purposely being louder so the woman sitting by us would hear. Shock value. Now me with all my dorkiness, listened and laughed at their crazy medieval sword stories. The woman kept glancing over at us. I bet it sounded to the lady that I was agreeing to the whole medieval sword thing which I was not...just enjoying our time.

And then throughout our time at the coffee shop Joel and Lily would say "Mom. guess what?" I would say each time "What?" and they would respond "chicken butt!" To which we would laugh. For the sake of the woman sitting next to us whose space we invaded I should have at least told them to stop. and really should not have laughed to encourage them more...

My name is Tina and I am a dork.

Not just a little dorkiness mixed in with normalness.

No.

I am 100% dork.

Warmly, A Dragonfrye Mommy

1 comment:

  1. really i think you should have followed the wink up with "thank ya shuga" then you just could have been southern for the afternoon. i tell people all the time i should be southern-big hair, big mouth, and i like to eat!! it is fun to be dramatic. you are NOT a dork just unique ;-)

    ReplyDelete