Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday Soup

Have you ever heard the term rubber chicken?

I decided to see how many meals our 20 lb turkey we cooked this past Thursday will go to feed all sixteen of us. So far we had two meals: Our Thursday turkey dinner and tonight's soup.

As you will see, our soup tonight was lacking color but it was very tasty! I mentioned this before but the real flavor with soup like this is to not skim off the fat. I suppose that is very unhealthy but very, very good.



I scavenged two zippy bags of leftover turkey meat for two hot dishes this next week. Do you want to know what crazy thing I am going to do? I think I can boil the turkey bones one more time to get another soup meal. So that will be five meals. That is pretty good considering the number of mouths it will feed.


Here is a little food/cooking trivia about our family:

We need two full 6 quart crock pots when we crock pot cook.

We moved from using two 9 x 13 pans to cook hot dish for one meal to our turkey roasting pan.

Our 8 quart stock pot is getting too small to cook oatmeal,rice, and noodles in. We will need to move up soon.It already is too small for cooking soup.

We need four pounds of dry beans for a beanish kind of meal to fill us up.

If we are making spaghetti, soup, or some hot dish with noodles in it we use three pounds of noodles.

Ten pounds of slow cook rice lasts us all of three meals.

We go through 15 or 16 loaves of bread a week.

We use 2 1/2 pounds of frozen veggies per meal.

We use eight boxes of mac and cheese for lunch which the kids complain is not enough.

We use two pounds of old fashion oatmeal for one breakfast.

We use about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen eggs for one meal of scrambled or fried eggs.


P.S.

Does anyone go to bed around here? It is one in the morning now and there are kids
(our bigger teens) still up wandering around getting this or that.


4 comments:

  1. I love my slow cooker too! I am posting my healthy slow cooker recipes on my blog http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com. You might fine some that interest you. Though you would definitely have to multiply the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been making a lot of soup lately also. Today is a Snow Day because of blizzard conditions...so I am considering searching for another new recipe to try with what I have on hand. :)
    I wanted to mention my carrot use. I add extra carrots to almost all my soup recipes because I like the color the carrots give the soup broth....and they are yummy. I buy the big bags of carrots...not those tiny little things that have no flavor. :)
    I will email you one recipe I made last week.....the base was creamy and didn't use all that much milk because first you make a gravey type of mixture. It was a two thumbs up soup. :)
    I boiled up my ham bone left over from Christms and got two pots of soup out of it this past week....I don't get tired of soup. Biscuts are usually appreciated with the meal if I don't take time to make bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila,
    The carrots would give the broth a great color. This soup was lacking color. Even green beans or something would have been a nice color addition.It tasted fine,though.
    Now I really would like to make biscuts or bread. That sounds SO good with soup.You just might have just given me another idea!

    Kathy,
    Thanks for the soup blog link. There are some very tasty soup recipes you posted! The tortilla soup sounds very good.

    Thanks you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, That's a lot of food! :) A good place to buy a HUGE quality stockpot is Sam's Club. I bought a huge 16 quart one a couple of years ago for about $35. It's a really nice, heavy stainless steel one with a lid (the spendy ones elsewhere will also charge for the lid...). I like to make big batches of soups to freeze. With a pot that size, you could make enough soup at one time for 2 meals, even with your size family! :)

    ReplyDelete