Friday, January 15, 2010

Soup-er-delirious

I do not know why I am compelled to keep showing my frugal soups to everyone.

Elena says it is because I am soup-er-delirious. Very clever. Anyway, this soup has a story,like all my soups do.

Here is this soup's story:

I held a little Home Ec class with Odell, Naomi, Ekie, Grace, Joel, and Lily yesterday. My mission...to teach them how to use a vegetable peeler. Joel was jumping out of his skin with excitement waiting for his turn with the peeler.It was very cute.

I had not realized Ekie was a pro at vegetable peeling with a regular knife. She said she would help her Liberian mom peel things. I can just picture tiny little (then) four year old Ekie peeling away. We all tease Ekie saying that her brothers will all go visiting quite often at her house when she gets big because she will have the cleanest house and the best food.Yes,and everything will coordinate. She is very domestic. Very much like Elena.

Anyway, with the kids' cut up veggies they made a nice looking veggie tray with dip and ginger ale in fancy glasses. I heard that during our caroling party the girls were being a tad (some older siblings described it as very) greedy with the food so I though that as long as we have their nice veggie tray I would go over self serve buffet table etiquette. It was a hit. They loved it. Who knows if they will remember the 'rules' the next time they are in a buffet table situation but at least we had a lot of fun today. I wish I had pictures!

What does this have to do with my soup? Well,Wednesday we had our weekly whole chicken. The chicken bones were waiting in a stock pot in the fridge for soup I was going to cook today for our evening meal. The kids and I thought that we would try putting our veggie peelings and leftover carrots in with the chicken leftovers and boil it to see what the soup would taste like. It sure was thrifty of us wasn't it? Hee hee. I have actually never done that before,adding the peelings part that is.Usually I just boil the chicken bones by themselves or with onion. The verdict was thumbs up all around! It was an added bonus that Jeff bought these cool looking noodles when he was grocery shopping.



I have two soups I will make this next week. One is Turkey soup and the other is a great looking black been soup that I read about on Smitten Kitchen. I am sure I will show you those soups as well because I am soup-er-delirious!

No comments:

Post a Comment