Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Some Days I Feel

consumed with pride.

See, I have this desperate inner need to be noticed by important people and liked the best. I have this desperation to need control, to be the one who was right.

Doesn't that all sound so exhausting...

All of those needs I have are really the sin of pride.

Sometimes, I picture myself out there in the cold night building my own Tower of Babel...The Tower of Tina... If I build it all by myself then I can stand on the top for all to see how great I am. It is a silly mental picture but I think it is a pretty accurate picture.

Anyway,I have been struggling with those desperate thoughts this week.

Although I hate these inner struggles and am SO embarrassed that they show in my actions towards others (no hiding the yuck), I am glad that God cares enough about me to expose the sin in my life. I am SO thankful He forgives me, and very thankful he helps me grow more Christ like every day.

Here are three different passages from the Bible that have been turning around in my head this week.


Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Philippians 2:3


An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest. Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him. Then he said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest."

Luke 9:46-48



Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him for something.And he said to her, "What do you want?" She said to him, "Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left,in your kingdom." Jesus answered, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?" They said to him, "We are able." He said to them,"You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been(K) prepared by my Father.
"And when the ten heard it, they were indignant at the two brothers. But Jesus called them to him and said,"You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,and whoever would be first among you must be your slave,even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Matthew 20:20-28



Warmly,
A Patchwork Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment