Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Glory

I ran across this quote

"And shall I ask at the day's end once more
What beauty is, and what I can have meant
By happiness?"


that I put above just below my blog topper tonight as I was glancing through a book called A Few Fair Days by Jan Gardam.

I looked the quote up and found it is a part of this poem by Edward Thomas.

The Glory

The glory of the beauty of the morning, -
The cuckoo crying over the untouched dew;
The blackbird that has found it, and the dove
That tempts me on to something sweeter than love;
White clouds ranged even and fair as new-mown hay;
The heat, the stir, the sublime vacancy
Of sky and meadow and forest and my own heart: -
The glory invites me, yet it leaves me scorning
All I can ever do, all I can be,
Beside the lovely of motion, shape, and hue,
The happiness I fancy fit to dwell
In beauty's presence. Shall I now this day
Begin to seek as far as heaven, as hell,
Wisdom or strength to match this beauty, start
And tread the pale dust pitted with small dark drops,
In hope to find whatever it is I seek,
Hearkening to short-lived happy-seeming things
That we know naught of, in the hazel copse?
Or must I be content with discontent
As larks and swallows are perhaps with wings?
And shall I ask at the day's end once more
What beauty is, and what I can have meant
By happiness? And shall I let all go,
Glad, weary, or both? Or shall I perhaps know
That I was happy oft and oft before,
Awhile forgetting how I am fast pent,
How dreary-swift, with naught to travel to,
Is Time? I cannot bite the day to the core.

Edward Thomas


I'm not all that good figuring out poems but I think this poem is about Edward Thomas being so awestruck by the glory of the beauty of the morning that he feels his words fall so short in describing it. Do you get that too by reading the poem?

I was thinking that there are days I can not describe with justice the glory of the beauty of my life, my days, my husband, my children, and even the circumstances that I face that day. My heart overflows with awe, thankfulness, gratefulness to God for his care, grace, and faithfulness to myself and my family. The circumstances of those days are not always easy but I can still see the beauty.

Then there are those days (um...like today) that I seem to be blind to anything glorious or beautiful at all about my life.

I think the secret to seeing the glory of the beauty of God in my days is to train myself to see what I do not see but know is there. It is seeing by faith.

This is why I like my blog...there are days when I see only in hind sight after my posts are written then I can smile about my day.

I do ask God to help me grow in maturity.To not be blind until the day is in my rear view mirror to see God's beauty in it. Maybe to someday I will stop mid-mommy tantrum and see the beauty God has placed in my life at the moment it is happening. I think God can do that.

Now I will move to something kind of trivial after my reflective thoughts!

Four baby blankets down...Twenty-two more to go. I can finish them...sooner rather than later...I will finish them.




Warmly,
A Patchwork Mommy

1 comment:

  1. It was fun catching up today. You've been busy with some fun projects! Enjoyed all the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete