Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Bunch About Almost Nothing

I have been thinking about my blog lately and you know what I came up with? My blog is a bunch of chat about nothing much unless I am chatting about my family that is. There is nothing nothing-ish about them. Ok, nothing-ish isn't a real word but I am sure you know what I am trying to say.

For a few weeks I have been a tad worked up about my blog not being very meaty but more fluffy. I have been thinking 'what is the use of blogging if I am not benefiting the lives of others'? I was thinking 'why go through the effort.Does me having a blog even make a difference'? Self pity is SO unattractive, isn't it?

I read some very good blogs on a regular basis and they all seem to have something good to say. These blogs benefit my life. I have been tossing around whether I am ok with my blog just being plain and ordinary. I am a much deeper person than my projects,aren't I? Should my blog me more than what it is?

I thought I could write more about my relationship with the Lord. I also do have a lot of experience in parenting and taking care of a large family along with international adoptions and all the issues that come with adopting older children.I could write about those things. I have a unique situation in that we home school thirteen of our fourteen children. I did try a home school blog and lost interest pretty quickly. I have been married for sixteen years and always seem to be learning and re-learning how to be a good wife.I could write about that...

I do have a lot I could write about...I do...but in the end of my discouraged and contemplating few weeks about my blog I decided I really like my blog just the way it is.I like it even if it is mostly about my projects with a small amount of family life tossed in. It makes me happy to read and re-read and re-read again about our days. Besides, what mom of fourteen children age fifteen on down can sew up a storm like I can? Ok,ok, sometimes (but not all the time) I sew to avoid my mom job but don't tell anyone.

I decided even if I had absolutely no other readers aside from Jeff and myself or was not sharing anything profound to the blog world that would be ok. I am ok with that. My blog expresses me. I like me (most of the time anyway). I just thought I would ramble a little. I do like rambling...


Ok, here is today's post of a bunch of goofy stuff...

I have been lacking funds to buy batting so I dug in the depths of my batting surplus and found enough polyester batting to make these two cute baby blankets.

Whistle Stop Station



and another Suzy's Zoo baby blanket. The other Suzy's Zoo I made a few weeks ago has flannel batting and quilted a little different. This one is fluffy-ish polyester batting.



and this is it...the last of my batting...the end...the bottom of the barrel...these pieces are only wide enough to make a few fabric books but not even worth piecing together for even one more blanket or quilt.

**Are you interested in a little batting ramble? See my note at the bottom of this post.



So what is next? Am I at a total stand still with my sewing!?

NO WAY!!

Now it is time to pull out my yards and yards of minkee type fabric (not truly minkee but minkee copy cat stuff) and fleece I have been storing...



...and my piles of fabrics I could pair with the minkee and fleece to make some very cute cozy soft baby blankets that do not require batting. Once these are done I can truly say there isn't a whole lot left to sew but I would have cleaned up my sewing fabric stash!



**Note: The picture of my batting leftovers is a nice display of the different batting available. The whitest white one on the top left is polyester fleece batting. It is good for fabric books. The white one next to it is fluffy polyester batting. I do not really enjoy working with this. The off white stuff on the right is Walmart cotton batting that is sold in packages. I REALLY do NOT like this at all. It does not wash well at all.Besides there is something about this batting that the cats love to eat.Weird,I know.Any then there is the Warm and Natural.I really like working with this batting. I have no complaints about it at all aside from the price. My second favorite thing to use is just plain old white cotton flannel. I like the thinness of it and the weight. It is also easy to machine quilt.

2 comments:

  1. I just made two quilts that do not have batting...just "minkey" type fabric on the back. They are really snuggly and I am looking forward to giving them as gifts this Christmas. I am hoping to complete the third one today. Also....my oldest son is getting a quilt top with a microfleece blanket on the back.....hope that turns out like I am planning....I haven't started it yet. :) I am just tying the large quilts and machine quilting the smaller size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved reading your blog just the way it is. Your family is fun and the pictures, and I like reading about your sewing projects too:) I really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete