Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I used to make granola often when our family was much smaller.The last few years I thought about making granola but the quantity I would need to make for just one breakfast seemed pretty intimidating as well as the cost to make such big batches adding all the fancy extras like nuts,coconut,honey,wheat germ,etc...Well,I had extra oatmeal and thought I would make an experiment batch with the only ingredients I had on hand and my experiment actually turned out real well.I am sure there must be an official recipe for this but I could not find one so here is my version of what I will call My Dragonfrye Frugal Granola.Now it might not be as healthy as it could be but it fills up our many tummies and is very inexpensive to make.

My Dragonfrye Frugal Granola

12 cups of dry oatmeal (I would think any type would work)
Cinnamon to your liking
3 sticks butter or margarine
3 cups brown sugar
Raisins (optional)

melt butter and brown sugar on stove.When melted stir into oatmeal.Put on two cookie sheets and cook in oven set at 300 stirring every 5 minutes for about 20 minutes or until toasted.Let cool and add raisins.Very cheap!This will feed our kids for one breakfast with a little left over.My thought is if you would desire the granola in bigger chunks you would use more brown sugar and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment