Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Some Rambling Thoughts

Warning!!!

No pictures today!!!

I am almost at a loss without any sort of picture to share of my day.

Should I post something anyway or not?

Well, I have a few thoughts on my mind so I will ramble on a bit even without pictures.

I have had a few kind people voice concern over my staying at home a lot. It is true, by nature I am a homebody. I always have been. It is a part of who I am.

When we had fewer children it was much easier to juggle serving in church, small group meetings, women's get-together, etc, as well as doing my mom thing. I did enjoy that time in my life. As our family grew (and it grew much quicker than most of the women I spent time with) I really needed to stay home more to get the basics done.

The other ladies I was around still had a higher level of involvement at church functions, co-ops, and what-not. I wrestled for years feeling guilty because I chose to stay home more. There were even a few people who thought we were headlong down the path to a mediocre for life for Christ. I would think 'if I really wanted to be used by God I should be back out there serving'.

I realized later that that guilt feeling was not coming from some sort of disobedience or failure on my part. I thought it was. No,it was just that my life was changing and moving in a little different direction than others where at that point. I can still get caught up in that guilty mind set these days so that is what I was referring to a few posts ago when I shared my thought when I visit Facebook.

I do not get out much. I am literally at home 98% of the time. No joking.

So if I’m not out at meetings, activities, etc…

What do I do?

This is what I do:

I stay home.

I am always there when Jeff and/or the kids get home from whatever.
I make sure school is taught, chores are done, meals are made, fights are settled, peace is restored.
I’m there when a teen is struggling or a toddler needs a bath.
I’m there when the neighbors have issues with us.
I’m there for the temper tantrums (no matter the age).
I’m there to help dig in the couch cushions for .25 cents so I child can get a snack at the gas station.
I’m there for the hugs and kisses and the 'I love you's.
I’m even there for the I hate yous and your such a dorks (yes,I'm the dork they are refering to) and the it's not fairs
I'm there for the I‘m sorrys.
I’m there for the good ,the bad, and the ugly.
The kids and I talk, talk, talk
Not even Jeff has the privileges I do.
Yes, Jeff and I talk, talk ,talk,
and I sew ;~)

Hey! What about my ‘me’ time. My ‘I deserve a break time’.

This is what I do:

I stay at home.

I am always there when Jeff and/or the kids get home from whatever.
I make sure school is taught, chores are done, meals are made, fights are settled, peace is restored.
I’m there when a teen is struggling or a toddler needs a bath..
I’m there when the neighbors have issues with us.
I’m there for the temper tantrums (no matter the age).
I’m there to help dig in the couch cushions for .25 cents so I child can get a snack at the gas station.
I’m there for the hugs and kisses and the I love yous.
I’m even there for the I hate yous and your such a dorks (yes,I'm the dork they are refering to) and the it's not fairs
I'm there for the I‘m sorrys.
I’m there for the good ,the bad, and the ugly.
The kids and I talk, talk, talk
Not even Jeff has the privileges I do.
Yes, Jeff and I talk, talk, talk
and I sew ;~)


In my major imperfect way my life is spent for my family.

But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy.

Philippians 2:17



My home is were I feel the most comfortable, loved ,useful, important. I do not feel that I am hiding out afraid to face the world. Not at all. Do I feel like a woman locked away longing for a ‘real life‘? No. Am I some sort of martyr? No, not at all. I personally feel that my home, my life is a gift given to me by the Lord. There will be a day when there are fewer kids at home and then God might lead me to other areas of service. But for now, no meeting, or church activity no matter how beneficial to the kingdom of God it is will compare to the importance of being a homebody serving my family.


I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

John 12:24



Warmly,
A Patchwork Mommy

P.S:

A big reminder.

We are all hand-crafted uniquely by God. Do not let your uniqueness be squashed by thinking you need to fit into (mine) someone else’s way of doing the mom thing. Also, please do not try to fit my family into your way of doing things. We all love our families.We all love the Lord and desire the best for our families. But, We are all different.

What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ."
Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

1 Cor 1:12-17

4 comments:

  1. Tina,
    I was concerned after I shared my heart with you, that you might have taken it the wrong way. Of course that was after I had sent it and was praying for you and your family. :( I was only letting you know that after getting to know you (by your honesty in your blog) that I feel that I am able to see things in a different light. It was by no means a critical jab at you or your family....so I hope that isn't what you read into it.
    I am a home body also. But I need some "space" once in a while...so I enjoy going to the Goodwill....alone. I have more of an issue with if I am at home, I feel like I need to be busy with the endless tasks of being a wife and mother....so I enjoy getting away (alone) once in a while. I also enjoy seeing how far I can make $10 go at the Goodwill. :)
    I know how quickly the kids grow....and how it feels when they start moving out....and how important it is to do what God asks us to do....and that there are good days and there are the not so good days. So PLEASE don't think that I am in anyway being critical of you or your choises. Your honesty is very refreshing and somewhat of a ministry. Your skin isn't very thick (mine isn't either), we need to make sure we aren't reading more into others comments.....because they are just "comments", not analytical evaluations. :) At least you share your thoughts....I tend to bottle mine inside and then I don't have anyone to help me think rationally.
    So, if you have gathered any troubled feelings because of my comments....I am truly sorry.....no hurtful intentions were being made.
    I enjoy watching your kids develop on your blog. I find it very interesting hearing how the kids interact and a little about their personalities. I also think Jeff is a really great guy. :) It is obvious he is a selfless person. I took a walk in the cemetery yesterday (5 years ago we burried our little Hannah) and it is always a fresh reminder of the importance of setting our priorities and living lives to please the Savior....not ourselves.
    I hope you have a really good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, Good for you for living a life honoring to the Lord and your family! I pray that I will be sensitive to the Lord's direction in my own life to where I spend my time. It's really easy to be selfish...not so easy to be selfless, but it really matters most where the heart is at and what the Lord's telling us to do. I'm thankful that you listen to Him, and I pray that I will, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina~I like staying home too. Home is a nice place to be:) I'm here almost all the time unless I go shopping with one or a few of the kids or we all go out together as a family, etc. In fact, neighbors have told me that they notice our van hardly ever moves (it does but just not as much as they think it should, I guess. I never noticed they were noticing that much detail about our lives--lol!) But anyway, during the week I'm home with the kids while Kenny works and I like it that way. We are busy doing things here that need to be done.
    I've had people scold me about not being in church on a regular basis(I stay home with the little ones while Kenny takes the older ones). This is where I'm at in life right now and I'm enjoying it while I can. I've many times been made to feel guilty about wanting to be with my kids, but I try not to let it bother me anymore because there's nothing to feel guilty about.
    Anyway, you are a great mom and are doing a great job with your family and home! Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaw I can relate to this so much. I too am at home a lot.

    ReplyDelete