Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wednesday's Walk Down Memory Lane



I thought it would be fun to participate in Lynnette's Wednesday's Walk Down Memory Lane. Every Wednesday Lynnette shares a special memory on her blog and encourages us to do the same.

If you have not yet visited Lynnette's blog Dancing Barefoot on Weathered Ground you should!I think you would find that you will really enjoy it!

I decided for my Wednesday Walk Down Memory lane I would start by showing all the old quilts I have made and a little history behind them. I hope it would not bore you too much!

Here is my official first quilt I made or at least what is left of it!






I made it for my oldest daughter Elena right before she was born 15 years ago! Believe it or not she still sleeps with it!

I used my mom's old Viking that my dad bought her back in the 70's before they were divorced. State of the art at the time. I was sewing on a piece of family history. I thought would my dad have ever thought way back when he bought this machine for my mom it would eventually be used to make a quilt for a granddaughter he would never meet?

Now I'm rambling a bit...I remember being in high school and my dad would bring me to the fabric store on different occasions and he would lean on an available display case while I would spend hours ( yes, hours) showing him all kinds of fabrics asking his opinions. Not many dad's would do that for their daughters! And my mom would bring me up to a local fabric store so I could spend my baby sitting money on fabric. I would take my chosen fabrics treasures home and sew all kinds of stuff on that Viking. I made some pretty interesting things. Fond memories I would think of as I sewed Elena's quilt. My mom sewed our clothes on that machine when we were little and I even sewed my wedding dress on that machine! There was so much memory sewn into Elena's quilt.

Back to the quilt. I had NO idea how to make a quilt. It was very new territory for me. I bought a quilt book called P.S. I Love You Baby Collection and picked out all this very bright pink fabric. I remember standing to get all the fabric cut and a man who was waiting for his wife to get her fabric cut looked at all the crazy fabric I picked out and said to me "That looks like Laura Ashley thew up".

Although, I was pretty devastated by his remark he was right in that I chose some crazy fabric but I loved it all. I was focused on making the most beautiful quilt for the most special baby ever. Over the years the colors have mellowed and now are almost faded beyond recognition but I think of it as the first of many journeys my daughter and I have been on together.

Just last night as I was sewing, Elena was sitting on the couch by me reading a book and we would chat here and there about her 15th birthday sleep over, music, stuff like that just enjoying the evening together. I tell her I am going to make so many quilts for all those cute children she will have someday (grand babies, imagine that!) she will be begging me to stop making quilts because there will be nowhere else to put them. She responds with a "Mom, don't tease me..." Of course, I really am not teasing her, she will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment